BITA Solar Kit Fundraiser
Solar kits donated to the Building Industry Technology Academy program (BITA 3 curriculum) allow high school students to learn the complete design, assembly, and installation of rooftop solar panels in a team environment.
One solar kit costs $200 and each BITA school needs 6 kits to effectively teach this component of the curriculum. Help CHF reach its goal of $30,000 to afford every student the materials for learning solar installation and the opportunity for a bright future.
- $1,200 - Affords 6 kits and serves one BITA school
- $600 - Affords 3 kits
- $200 - Affords 1 kit
Each solar modular kit includes:
- Q Cable “Drops”
- Terminator Cap
- Enphase Cable Clips
- UniRac Rail
- UniRac Splice with Tek Screws
- UniRac End Clamp
- UniRac Mid Clamp
- UniRac Weeb Lug
- UniRac T Bolt
- L feet
- Comp Shingle Flashing
- Lag Bolt
- Station Roof Mockup
With each solar kit, students will learn how to:
- Understand contributing factors to layout placement/design
- Read and interpret solar array layout design documents
- Develop and apply basic skills in roof penetration, flashing, and waterproofing
- Locate center of rafter/top-cord, pilot drilling and roof attachment
- Racking assembly, adjustability, leveling and planning for array uniformity
- Maximize teamwork to assist in module placement and attachment
- Name and identify all racking components and connectors
- Name and identify micro inverter wiring components
- Layout and install modules from permit sets/engineering drawings
- Identify the tools and equipment used by solar installers today
- Lay out trunk cables and install with accessories for proper operation
- Demonstrate safe working procedures in a construction and shop/lab environment.
- Complete rooftop wire management
- Complete project documentation
- Work cooperatively as a member of a team.
- Identify hazards and how to avoid or minimize them in the workplace.
California’s 2020 solar mandate requires all new homes built after Jan 1, 2020 must be equipped with a solar electric system. Incorporating solar into the BITA curriculum is no longer valuable training for students learning to build homes, it is essential.
Please give construction students the solar training they need today.